Forum Archive idea

Suggestions for improvement, new category ideas, comments to the editor.
wazzyl

Forum Archive idea

Post by wazzyl » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:15 am

Hey Troy,

I know you are busy this week, but i have a better idea for all of your forum posts that are locked or are deleted, bring them to a map called Archive where you only can post in, and people can only watch these topics. Just move the topics to Archive, that should make the website data better.

Deleting forum posts is not a good idea, just move them to a archive map on forums! People can re-open their topics then when they have contacted you!

OutOfPlaceNinja

Re: Forum Archive idea

Post by OutOfPlaceNinja » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:50 pm

I've been an admin over several forums in the past. I believe the only time forum posts/replies should be deleted is if they break the rules. Many forums will automatically move "old topics" (dead topics as well) to an Archived board so they remain for viewing but less likely to get brought back to life (since it seems people hate resurrecting old topics for some reason). Keeping all posts that don't break the rules will eventually help the search engine ranking of the site.

I've not been around this forum long enough to know how things are being done but the above is just my two cents based on experience.

wazzyl

Post by wazzyl » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:50 am

well i know everything about forums, they call me the guru aswell :P i have coded a few parts of the mybb forums, aswell for the phpbb community.

Archived forums are better for this company aswell!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:19 pm

I dont think there are any forum posts that are deleted except for spammers. When someone spams me, their first posts get grabbed up by the software and held for review anyway. Then I delete their accounts along with all their posts. But this is before the posts ever go live.

Not sure about archiving yet. I would need help to get that deep into things since I am busy working on other projects all the time.

Thanks for the tips though. Got me thinking.