Why the water jacketed stove fails.

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
Dave Thacker

Why the water jacketed stove fails.

Post by Dave Thacker » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Physics, The fire box is surrounded on the vertical walls by water at atmospheric pressure. Water boils at 212 F. As the stove heats up, it can not get above 212F while liquid water exists in the jacket. Thus all the heat gous up the flue and out the very limited radiant area of the top. The 212F sides of course, obviously can't radiate much. While the stove is interesting, it is the problem. Replace it with a simpler unit.
Get more heat with less wood and less leaks. Let Rube Goldberg rest in peace.
Last edited by Dave Thacker on Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

techman
Site Admin

Re: Why the water jacketed stove fails.

Post by techman » Sun May 19, 2013 10:18 am

You are correct.

But....

This thing was designed to heat up water and it does a VERY good job at it. I can boil water and heat up this room in 10 - 15 minutes from a dead cold night.

My weak point is moving all that heat out of the water fast enough. This stove converts heat into water fast. Very fast. And very efficiently. I use so little wood you would be amazed. In 24 hours I use the equivalent of about 2 standard size logs in my tiny wood stove to keep the camper warm.

Sorry, but I love this little stove. I hope to set it up to move heat better and require no water pump.

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

It's not an issue of Love. It's a technical one. It's numbers, dots and dashes.

If you get a water convection unit going above the stove, which you might very well do. Think of this. Your putting energy into the iron, then into the water then moving it to the radiator, then blowing a fan through it and transferring the heat back to the air. That is a lot of conversions when you could just let a stove heat the air directly. There is no energy gain n forcing the conversions to water and back to air again. Only complexity and filling your cubic feet up with more and more plumbing.

That stove is neato. It would be great if you had a big family and wanted to heat huge bathtubs of water without using a bunch of natural gas. However, in your situation, it only has a negative expectation. Free yourself.

Having watched your video's, I think by now you've discovered the issue is not expansion and contraction of the water. It's state conversion. Conversion from liquid to gas. It can't be sucking the water back out and keeping it's self burped and full of water. The water is just going to transfer into the can. A one way path to yet more frustration.

The only way you're going to get that water back in the stove is to run it through a worm to cool and condense it and then drip it right back into the water jacket. Still, it's a pain in the wazoo and you're only putting off the inevitable removal of the stove.

Being able to burn very little wood for a very long time is about controlling the airflow to the fire. It may do that very well. Other stoves will as well. I am hoping you get a donation or offer at some point to let you get free of it.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 pm

To be honest I have contacted some wood stove companies and not one is willing to talk to me about any sort of a deal. I was hoping to make a marketing deal or something but it seems like the wood stove companies are all very satisfied with their sales as things stand. Word for word what one man told me about his stoves.

Anyway, this is my stove and I have to make do with it.