Rodents / Pests

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
azhomestead

Rodents / Pests

Post by azhomestead » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:55 pm

Troy (or anyone),
I know during construction, you installed metal sheeting to the underside of your floor joists to curb rodents from getting in. Would love for you to address pests be it mice, spiders etc... Come spring time, I will be addressing the rodent issue at my homestead and would love to get your feedback!

techman
Site Admin

Re: Rodents / Pests

Post by techman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:58 am

I have not had a single mouse in my tiny house on wheels in the last year. This is the second winter now and not a single mouse. Literally everything else, even the car, has mice in it. It is a plague out here. So far not a single thing in the house. The metal seems to be working.

Also I only had a few explorer carpenter ants in the tiny house last summer although they are a plague worse than the mice. They never set up camp in the walls of the tiny house last year. The RV is plagued heavily. Even a wood pile will become infested in short time if left alone.

So far I am very happy with my mouse proof, bug proof tiny house on wheels.

The only thing I see a lot of is spiders. They come in through the eaves and ventilation in the roof. Work their way through the walls and into my house. Or hitch a ride on my clothes.