Greetings from Spain

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
maxlinux2000

Greetings from Spain

Post by maxlinux2000 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 am

Hi all,
this is the first time I write here.
My name is Max, I am Italian but I live in Spain.
I have a small plot of about 2.5 acres and a wooden house. The nearest village is 6km (3.5miles circa)

My PV system consists of 600Wp monocrystalline solar panels and a wind turbine 450W.
I also have a diesel generator 4000W.

The battery bank consists of 15 used car batteries 70Ah-12V connected in parallel with diodes and circuit breakers 10A per battery.

Not saying it's the best system in the world, but used car batteries in my area are so cheap that it was not worth spending more.
In addition I had also many problems due to the european economic crisis so I opted for this complicated but cheap system.

In the near future I plan to buy a set of 8 batteries troyan T105, or go directly to the new batteries Lead-silicon technology, which they say are better than any lead-acid batteries.

My inverter is a Xantrex 1400Watt to 12-220V. Works just fine.

The regulator in a PS 30 morningstar with a trick in the internal voltage sensor to recharge the batteries to 15.8V instead of 14.5V.

Car batteries need a higher voltage, why are they made ​​of an alloy of lead-calcium instead of lead-antimony, or lead-selenium.

I live in the country for 5 years, and I am happy with my wife, my cats and my dogs.

regards,
MaX
my spanish blog http://www.solarweb.net/blogs/maxlinux2000/
my italian forum http://faidateoffgrid.altervista.org/

techman
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Spain

Post by techman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Thank you for sharing your information with us.

You probably have a whole lot more sun each day than I get in a couple days combined. Sounds like you are nicely settled in.