Going off grid in New York state

Anything off grid. Energy, waste management, water supply, housing, whatever.
jward

Going off grid in New York state

Post by jward » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:05 am

Hello all!
I'm new here but have been watching Troy's progress on the Tiny House on Wheels and have also started watching the old off grid camper videos and I can't help but feel inspired.

My wife and I are currently planning on building up an off grid homestead in New York state in a similar way to what Troy did (Start with some land and a camper and build from there).

My understanding on NY state laws is that the minimum house size is 900 square feet but we do not need that much room and would like to avoid dealing with building permits. I know in Pennsylvania there are ways to avoid it (max building size, no grid connection, no pressurized water lines outside the house, no well or septic dug, etc.) NY is known for being more difficult but are there similar loopholes to avoid a building permit? Is the only way to build on wheels like troy did? If so what I have found is the max size for trailers is 8' wide, 13.5' high and 40' long but if I remember right, Troy's house is a bit wider so is there something I missed?

As far as waste disposal, I know about the certified composting toilet requirement but the greywater law is written to be as clear as the greywater itself. Has anyone been able to make sense of this? What is your greywater solution going to be, Troy?

And for those of you who have the urge to tell me to avoid NY, we chose it because my wife wants to be closer to her family in upstate NY so now I'm just trying to find out how we can reduce government involvement as much as possible.

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

techman
Site Admin

Re: Going off grid in New York state

Post by techman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:57 am

I cant believe I did not see your post before. I am so sorry.

The best thing you can do is go into the local town offices and ask questions there. Every single town has their own codes and rules. The 800 sq foot thing might only be local to my area. Not sure.

Gray water seems to be a bit flexible. Again, with this you need to talk to your local health dept and get ideas and suggestions. Most of the time if you build up a relationship with the locals they will be happy to work with you.

Sorry I cannot be more clear but as you say, its as clear as the gray water itself. Every single town has its own codes.