Holes in the wall.

dawa3100

Holes in the wall.

Post by dawa3100 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Troy,
I noticed you are very concerned about bugs and other critter's getting into your house. I thought of a way to seal up them holes you had to drill for the wires and the toilet vent. Now keep in mind I don't know the size hole you drilled so this is just a thought and can be adjusted to fit your needs. Next time your at Lowe's or any hardware store look for something along the lines of a Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2-in Dia PVC Cleanout Adapter Fitting and a Charlotte Pipe 1-1/2-in dia PVC Cleanout Plug Fitting. By getting 2 of the Cleanout Adapter's and a Plug to fit the size hole you already have in the wall along with a section of pipe. You can easily assemble them in the hole so unwanted guests don't get into the walls and tear up the insulation. Then simply run the wire's threw that. By caulking around the outside Cleanout Adapter you can hold the assembly in place and prevent air flow. As for the Plug you can either just leave it out and use a temporary seal like steel wool and spray foam and use the plug only if you later decide to relocate the wiring to seal up the hole. Or drill smaller hole just large enough for the wires themselves to pass and caulk around them to seal the tunnel.
Now as for the toilet vent I'm not positive if this idea will work in it's entirety. With the fan being attached to the wall like it is I'm not sure if you can attach the PVC pipe to it. Maybe you can just use one of the Cleanout Adapters and a section of pipe to get close to the fan preventing things from getting to the insulation.
Just a thought on how to keep things from bugging you to much in the future. I know them things are like troll's, once they get in they are a pain to get out. :lol:

Duane

techman
Site Admin

Re: Holes in the wall.

Post by techman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:53 am

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will look into that.

What I was thinking about is simply spray foam. It is getting warmer out so its time to get sealing them all off either way pretty soon.