Goverment Creats a New type Od solar Cell

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
Solar98632

Goverment Creats a New type Od solar Cell

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 pm

U.S. Naval Research Laboratory scientists in the Electronics Technology and Science Division, in collaboration with the Imperial College London and MicroLink Devices, Inc., Niles, Ill., have proposed a novel triple-junction solar cell with the potential to break the 50 percent conversion efficiency barrier, which is the current goal in multi-junction photovoltaic development.
Multi-junction Solar CellSchematic diagram of a multi-junction (MJ) solar cell formed from materials lattice-matched to InP and achieving the bandgaps for maximum efficiency.
(Photo: U.S. Naval Research Laboratory)

"This research has produced a novel, realistically achievable, lattice-matched, multi-junction solar cell design with the potential to break the 50 percent power conversion efficiency mark under concentrated illumination," said Robert Walters, Ph.D., NRL research physicist. "At present, the world record triple-junction solar cell efficiency is 44 percent under concentration and it is generally accepted that a major technology breakthrough will be required for the efficiency of these cells to increase much further."

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-rele ... cy-barrier

This is amazing as this is a game changer, but will we the public be axle to reap its benefits?

techman
Site Admin

Re: Goverment Creats a New type Od solar Cell

Post by techman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:19 am

Well, the sad thing is that the public always gets the new tech years after the military is done with it. Our common solar panels are lucky to reach 17 percent right now.

Besides, only the military can afford such tech. That stuff will be EXPENSIVE for many years to come.

I will just build more solar panels at $1 per watt for now until I have enough power.

Add homemade table fan/windmill conversions and I will be fine.