Simulation Software: Homer

Discussions about solar power and solar energy projects.
hi_tech_guy_18

Simulation Software: Homer

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:38 am

First of all I'm not selling this software to anyone but I am making a useful tool resource available for everyone to know about and try out

Found a useful tool for Simulating MicroGrid Power Systems Both Off-Grid and On-Grid + Hybrid Systems
Website: http://homerenergy.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+ Software is a 2 week trial (Full features)

Software info:
HOMER is a computer model that simplifies the task of designing distributed generation (DG) systems - both on and off-grid. HOMER's optimization and sensitivity analysis algorithms allow you to evaluate the economic and technical feasibility of a large number of technology options and to account for variations in technology costs and energy resource availability. Originally designed at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory for the village power program, HOMER is now licensed to HOMER Energy.
Simulation, Optimization, Sensitivity Analysis

HOMER provides the detailed rigor of chronological simulation and optimization in a model that is relatively simple and easy to use. It’s adaptable to a wide variety of projects. For a village or community-scale power system, HOMER can model both the technical and economic factors involved in the project. For larger systems, HOMER can provide an important overview that compares the cost and feasibility of different configurations; then designers can use more specialized software to model the technical performance.

HOMER is accessible to large set of users, including non-technical decision makers. Chronological simulation is essential for modeling variable resources, such as solar and wind power and for combined heat and power applications where the thermal load is variable. HOMER’s sensitivity analysis helps determine the potential impact of uncertain factors such as fuel prices or wind speed on a given system, over time.

HOMER models both conventional and renewable energy technologies:

Power sources:
• solar photovoltaic (PV)
• wind turbine
• run-of-river hydro power

• biomass power
• generator: diesel, gasoline, biogas, alternative and custom fuels, cofired
• electric utility grid
• microturbine
• fuel cell

Storage:
• flywheels
• battery bank
• flow batteries
• hydrogen

Loads:
• daily profiles with seasonal variation
• deferrable (water pumping, refrigeration)
• thermal (space heating, crop drying)
• efficiency measures

techman
Site Admin

Re: Simulation Software: Homer

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:05 pm

This software looks amazing. I wish I had time to play around with it but I am so busy now, it is not going to happen. Have you used it much yet?

It looks like you could make a business out of this by helping people sort out their off grid energy needs.

hi_tech_guy_18

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:54 pm

I Ran a few Simulations its pretty useful for giving Test situations throw out 4 seasons
Its pretty accrue
10 mins setting it up and min or 2 later you get All the results back

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:52 am

You could seriously make a business with this. Helping people decide what their power needs are.