How can I understand the electronics talk?

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Defcon4

How can I understand the electronics talk?

Post by Defcon4 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 am

I've been wanting to go off the grid for a long time and am enjoying the videos, however when you and your readers who post start discussing amps, volts, watts, batteries, charge, converters, inverters, and all the other electronics parts and contraptions that you all seem to understand and know the fine details of how to use and operate, I get frustrated because my brain glazes over with that kind of talk.

I always figured that when I do go off the grid it will be a more primitive homesteading situation but the thought of having solar panels to power some modern electronic devices is appealing.

techman
Site Admin

Re: How can I understand the electronics talk?

Post by techman » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Sorry you have not received an answer yet.

I would suggest Forest Mimms "Getting Started In Electronics" which is a simple and very basic intro to electronics and schematics.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:32 am

the more you know, the easier it is to live offgrid, when we talk about the solar systems at Troys place , its not a small system with one battery and a panel coneected to it with only a lamp or so , what we discuss is way more complicated , and if you dont know anything about electrics etc is a bit difficult to understand!, I advice you to thry to learn the basics about electricity.
it s not that difficult , but you first have to know a little basics about it, when you know how it works its fun to work wit it!
know what you do before you burn out your expensive electronics, or worse get hurt! ;)

grts Richard
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

higgy

Post by higgy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:13 pm

howdy...
first thing you want to do is research.
via a local library or the web.
you will learn the basics of what Ohms amps, volts and the differences between Alternative Current(AC) and direct current(DC).

or go to school (local community college) for a basic ET degree. :)

hi_tech_guy_18

Post by hi_tech_guy_18 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:06 am

Strangely Electricity shares a lot of similarities (analogy's) with water and a plumbing system

Electricity Explained- Just Like Pumping Water
http://www.all-you-need-is-solar.com/el ... ained.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;