Solar hot water using wires and PV panels?

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
solarway

Solar hot water using wires and PV panels?

Post by solarway » Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 am

I found this thing interesting, to get solar hot water you only have to run wires instead of pipes and I don't have to change anything major on my water heater.

http://techluck.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't see why it wouldn't work it uses a MPPT function to get the most power from the panels. You sort of get a solar boost for savings out of it but can still run electric grid when needed like on rainy days.

I am considering getting two panels and trying this out. Anyone see any problems with this?

techman
Site Admin

Re: Solar hot water using wires and PV panels?

Post by techman » Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 pm

I dont know. Not sure of such claims. You can use solar to power your hot water heater, yes, with the right voltage and possibly an inverter and a LOT of current.

solarway

Post by solarway » Fri May 24, 2013 2:15 am

After reading more of the information it looks like the power goes in for hours and adds up over a longer period than the normal time which makes sense for solar power.

The big glycol water systems work that way too, you don't get the solar heat all at once, it takes all day. And this system seems to be transformerless which is interesting.

Dave Thacker

Post by Dave Thacker » Fri May 24, 2013 9:12 am

You probably could drive a 110v element with 12v. It would just reduce the wattage about about 1/10th. Techman does not have a heater at all. If he had an RV heater (which he might soon) he would need to buy an element for it. I've encouraged him to do so. ;-)

I think it would be cool being off the grid while still having all the normal accouterments of life.

It would sound something like, "You can do this too and not suffer, just like me."

I'd say 50-75% of his solar energy isn't being used or stored and thus could be used to heat water with thoughtful timing. Just can't store it all.
Dave Thacker
Radicalrc.com, Owner
Radicalrc.com/blog Blogsite