Newbee to off Grid

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
sea crow

Newbee to off Grid

Post by sea crow » Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Greeetings...

I am moving to a cabin up north in NH July 1st and will be without electricity and water. I will have an out house and a brook near by as well as water from the owners home for drinking and cooking... Any helpful suggestions would be great..

I have been watching Techmans youtube videos and have enjoyed them, great information. Look forward to more..

I have a wood stove for heat and propane burners for cooking. I am going to be there at least a year if not longer. Would love tips on solar generators, best kinds, wattage etc.. Haven't a clue... As well as any other useful tips.... Thanks

techman
Site Admin

Re: Newbee to off Grid

Post by techman » Mon May 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Wow, you have a lot of questions. Best thing is I answer a few and you post follow up questions.

I can tell you that hauling drinking water by hand is no fun. Think about a way to harvest the rain water off the roof. Think rain gutters and rain barrels under ground so they will not freeze.

An outhouse is fine for a year. For a longer stay, a compost toilet is better.

You should try to get about 2 - 400 watts of solar power and 4 - 6 true deep cycle batteries for off grid comfort. That will run a 12 volt water pump, laptop, LED TV, LED lights and charge you small electronics nicely.

The brook could be used for hydroelectric power if it is close enough.

Please feel free to post any more questions you may have. I will be faster in my responses from now on. I was back logged with emails and spam since Easter and am finally getting caught up totally.

Troy