Planning on VWAT

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Solar98632

Planning on VWAT

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:26 pm

I am coming to the realization that solar while good for creating a small charger for hand held devices, I will need something with more "Bite".
I live here in the pacific Northwet. I am planning a VWAT. I was wondering has any one here tried such a thing? VWAT is short for Vertical access wind Turbine.

Will the 17 amp Vacuum cleaner Motor work for for the conversion with the magnet conversion?

techman
Site Admin

Re: Planning on VWAT

Post by techman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:49 am

If you can take apart the motor and pull out the center rotor. If the rotor is a solid cylinder of metal. Then you can drill/cut slots for the magnets. Put it together and you have a windmill.

I have the magnets and a good old box fan motor waiting for me to get some time to machine it into a very nice windmill. The old box fan motors are awesome. The old heavy, metal cased ones with individual coils in them. Put some magnets inside and you have some serious power.

The larger, strongest magnets you can fit inside are the best. More powerful magnets = more power output.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 am

By the way, I was thing of making a VWAT one day. Lets see if I can get some time this spring for it.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 am

Sounds like a plan. Well Now I think we have made a fine mess on youtubes channel , Oh I have made a basic Diagram of that solar Circuit I have been talking about.
One thing to note, I am using devices that are meant to charge on cloudy days. at least here it will give us a better way to share Ideas.

Oh and as far as that Vacuum moor..Eh, I can see everything with out taking it apart all that much lol.
Well we have a problem It is not a Brushes motor, it would have tot take some work to Convert it into an alternator.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Dont worry about the youtube channel. Every single comment helps increase the value of that video.

I do not like converting any strange motors. Ceiling fan motors work very well if you add magnets in them too. I have not done it yet, but plan to do so one day soon. I also have a HUGE fan motor, but cannot afford the magnets for it.

Oh well, one day.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:34 pm

I hear ya on that afford issue lol..oh take look at that is it ia/c or d/c link..you will be scratching you head on that one. I posted a youtube link on that little motor. well back to playing with Patrick lol. erg I am truing him to a geek.. Oh No..

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:03 am

Hey see if you can get a hold of a Tread mill motor either form a junk yard or see if a place has one that works for cheap.
I hear that they make great Generators with High amp out put. Now that with a VWAT would indeed be a power house. Or I'll see if I can find one on the cheap at an appliance store. Besides, I need to stop at an appliance store any ways because I have no induction motors that I can sacrifice .

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 am

Hey see if you can get a hold of a Tread mill motor either form a junk yard or see if a place has one that works for cheap.
I hear that they make great Generators with High amp out put. Now that with a VWAT would indeed be a power house. Or I'll see if I can find one on the cheap at an appliance store. Besides, I need to stop at an appliance store any ways because I have no induction motors that I can sacrifice .

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 am

Look at my bike generator page here: http://www.thediyworld.com/DIY-Bicycle- ... erator.php

I have used a treadmill motor for this. Yes you can get them all over the place for free. Take out the motor and turn the rest in for scrap metal.

A treadmill motor could be used by a creak as a hydro generator, in the air as a wind turbine, or as I have done and mount it to a bike.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Oh cool.. Well then I will try one or two then and I am into metal recycling.