VWATT Wind Generator with Converted Vacum Cleaner Motor

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Solar98632

VWATT Wind Generator with Converted Vacum Cleaner Motor

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Ok Call me nuts, call me insane, But My project for this summer is 2 fold Solar and a VWAT other wise known as a Veritical Axis Wind Turbine.
I live here in the great Pacific North..eh Wet. Yes, I left off the s deliberately . During the summer time we get great sun, but during the winter. Getting sun, well that is a whole different story. Oh we get lots of wind though.

Ok Here is what I am planning:
Build a Small VWAT, We live in an quadplex and I do not think the city would enjoy seeing a large hunky chunky piece of spinning metal out side, nor would our manager. Plus, we have a son.. so, I will have to keep him from the thing..dang guy is very curious on how things work, but he will soon be 2 and I have to keep things safe for him.
The reason for Choosing a VWAT design is because It has to be low to the ground.

The reason for designing this is so that We can operate a 12 volt fridge should we lose power (mainly during the winter time) as our son has a special diet of Formula and veggies he is on. HE has a rare metabolic disorder called PKU..that Means No Meats, No Nuts, No Eggs Nothing with exception of fruits and veggies. His special Formula l that he drinks is the main thing that keeps him alive. and that has to be kept Cold once made for 24 hours.

The second reason, is to run a few of our electronics, TV and computers. I have a 750 Wat inverter already, my lap top is easy, it uses very little energy but my TV and Fiances computer are energy HOGS. And I am hoping to supplement some electricity for perhaps a small green house.

Maybe I am asking to much from the Vacuum motor conversion?

I am planning to use small Nedimuim magnets for the conversion .
But before I start, is it possible to use the Vacuum Motor conversion for such a project? or would I be better off using an old Alternator from a car?

Just trying to take in some reality in my planning VS goig gung ho and wasting money .

Solar98632

Re: VWATT Wind Generator with Converted Vacum Cleaner Motor

Post by Solar98632 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56 am

Scratch that plan. It is not a Brushes motor and it will take some time to convert that motor. maybe not totally scratch it. I think I might have a way to convert it into an Altiplano though, I will need to do some research.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

A car alternator needs power to produce power. It has no magnets inside. Instead, it uses electromagnets, which are coils inside that emit a magnetic field when energized. These pass other coils, producing power. Downside is it needs power to produce power. Another down side is that it needs to be spun up very fast in order to produce any power.

You can take one apart and add magnets in it, just like with an AC motor.

The wind generator sounds like a great plan. Find a brushless AC motor and put the largest permanent magnets into it that you can find. No ceramic junk either. High power magnets. The stronger, the better.

Switch to laptops in order to get rid of those energy hog computers.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:12 pm

Well, I am using a lap top, fiance uses the tower as it has more power and better graphics card sometimes one needs the separate components at any rate in the Summer I am going to give it a shot. I am going to look for an old used Squirrel-cage Furnace Fan. I have an idea on the set up I am going to use and I can find a brush-less motor, there a dime a dozen now a days. I will have to use my brothers Drill Press. oh his tools are his babies ..so I will have to be careful not to hurt his babies...He says I can get hurt all I want but don't injure his tools lol...Nice bro right?

I think a good place to start would be a used appliance and part store..And I know just the place.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:14 am

Oh, I been thinking on the VWAT .
The challenge i have is supporting the Vertical part. Was wondering when they do those, is it one bolt holding the thing together or is it a long shaft that is adding stability, or does it matter?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:12 am

Use a car wheel spindle and rotor. Powerful things that can really take a beating. Mount your generator blades on that.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

hmm Good Idea, thanks also they have bearings that produce less drag. I wonder, my brother should have a junk on laying around. ORR... If I use an axle with a differential I can turn 2 generators. Utes the spindle, mount it to the a large pulley wheel as a larger connect a smaller pulley to the axle and you can get enough speed up for two generators, on on one side and another on the other side, one could power one set of things and the other could power a totally different set of items.

Also a drum with a spindle with a brake, that would make a great safety feature to shut down the unit for maintenance. Now I could see the look on dad's face and my brothers face, "what the hell is he doing"? lol

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Yeah, just wait till they find out you used the new family car for parts.

I do not think a differential will work. They are designed to allow torque to be applied to the drive shaft, which turns the tires. But if one tire slips, the other one will receive the power and continue to turn separately. They are not connected together solidly.

The brake drum would be good for maintenance. You could shut down the windmill to work on it so you do not loose an arm.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 pm

Hmm that part I understand, it is the idea of using both though to help turn a generator, I don't think something as small a a generator would apply enough force to prevent the other from spinning? either that apply the VWAT to the drive line then use both sides of the axles, that might work OH I am thinking of Posi-traction der.. I should have said that lol.
Or possibly the families tractor..lol..eh I wouldn't do that, I don't have a death wish. Dad would certainly kill me if I touch his international Hollester Collection

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Sounds like a visit to the junk yard is on the plans. I have seen people use a brake drum with bearings to make a full scale wind generator. The bearings are heavy duty and last many years. Just grease them up now and then.