is it AC or DC

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Solar98632

Re: is it AC or DC

Post by Solar98632 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:59 pm

as far as opening this, I can't even find a place to slide anything into the bottom to open it. I am guessing this is one hell of a set up on the inside. I am guessing that there is on the shaft a Permanent Magnet of some kind. I am not even sure what the safe speed for this is.
well what to do with a 6 volt mini alternator..hmm Can't charge batteries unless I "rectify the situation " and use a rectifier or maybe a diode or 2 or 4 or 6 ... eh I think a bridge rectifier will work. I will spin it up again and see where the break in the circuit is.. seeing how there is 4 wires coming from the thing and both sets are ac. I think I may have a rare stepper of some kind here. I honestly do not remember where I got it or what I got it out of.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:03 am

I believe you have a stepper motor because of the 4 wires. I never really got involved in them. They are great for precision controls of robots or printers. Normally a stepper motor turns the wheel which pushes the paper through a printer.

Not sure exactly how yours if wired, but normally a stepper motor is designed to move just a tiny STEP with each pulse of electricity. A control circuit is needed to make it run because the controls have to send a pulse to each coil in turn or it will not spin up.

Solar98632

Post by Solar98632 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 pm

Well techman have you seen anything like that?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

Yes, I have seen them. The hard drive motor I used in my last Bedini charger was a stepper motor. It was useless for me so I hit it with a hammer to break up the magnets inside. This loosened it up so I could use the platter for its smooth bearings.

I have never found a use for a stepper motor myself outside of robotics. Printers use them for precision positioning of the print heads.