Attempting to build windmill generator.

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Electric hobbyist

Attempting to build windmill generator.

Post by Electric hobbyist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Triton115 from Youtube here. As I was saying in my message on Youtube, I am having problems generating electricity. Here are some pictures of how I have tried to generate electricity. This is the vise and the 4 magnets.
Attachments
002_crop_crop.jpg
002_crop_crop.jpg (142.28 KiB) Viewed 15751 times

techman
Site Admin

Re: Attempting to build windmill generator.

Post by techman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for posting here. It does look like you will need more coils. A single coil will not produce much energy on its own. And the coil should be just larger than the longest side of a magnet. All of magnetic fields should cut through the coil as the coil passes a magnet. Try rather spinning the rotor, covered with magnets, in between a pair of coils. And you should try to have one coil for each magnet for maximum output. I will be making a new webpage about generator construction with diagrams soon.

Please let me know if you still need help. Techman

Electric hobbyist

Post by Electric hobbyist » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

So then, if I have 16 magnets, should I have 16 coils as well?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:38 am

Here it starts to get complicated. I can say yes, for your first generator, use an equal number of coils per magnet. This is an easy generator to make. You simply wire up the coils in series.

You may also want to use a few less coils than magnets to reduce cogging and low wind startup. But here you will start to get into complicated wiring of the generator. It branches off into many options.

No matter you you make the system, dont hard wire the coils permanently until you have finished testing possible arrangements.

If you can, open up a dc motor and have a look inside at how it is wired. A DC motor is a generator if it is spun up to full speed. Old printers are loaded with them.

If you can hang for a bit, I am working in a new page that will explain all of this if full detail, with all the options. It will take a few more days to finish.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:35 pm

The new windmill and generator facts page is done. This page covers the various types of generator windings and the pros and cons of each type.

You can find the full article here:

http://www.thediyworld.com/Windmill-And ... -Facts.php

Please feel free to post any other questions. And please do share you finished generator photos.

Techman