Generators and Appliances

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
Solar98632

Generators and Appliances

Post by Solar98632 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Ok, I have tested my generator out.
I have come to learn a few things.
1. Our refrigerator uses 783 watts..the thing has a defroster. .so its an energy hog..actually it is not ours but it is the land lords..

2. Any thing that switches on and off rapidly the gnerator may have an issue with keeping up. So.. continous power is needed.

3. 1,200 watts can go a long ways if you plan your day on what you are going to do.
Don't get fancy. Crock pots make great meals, use less fuel as they use less energy.
Crock pots are perfect for small gennies and can make really yummy meals.

4. 1,200 watts will not run a clothes dryer lol.even if it is configured for 110v.
5. Maintance is key to survivability.
6. If you get a gass mix unit.. it maybe more difficult to run it should fuel become short. You may have th mixing oil..but no gas. Ouch.. and in an 8.0 quake? Better have a lot of fuel saved up. 15 gallons lasted me an entire month of on and off use.

7 . A dishwashers is nice to have... keep it clean.. and well..you might have a nice shower. Thers you hot water on demand.. lol.

techman
Site Admin

Re: Generators and Appliances

Post by techman » Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 pm

I prefer not to have a generator for anything more than occasional use due to gas costs. I do want to experiment with wood gas one day as fuel for a gas generator but maybe next year.

Yes 1200 watts can be a lot depending on your needs. Often I only use about 100 watt or less at any given time.

I may try a crock pot one day. Would be cool if I can run it on solar.