Power dump for 1.21 JIGAWATTS? your ideas?

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
tweakinreaper

Power dump for 1.21 JIGAWATTS? your ideas?

Post by tweakinreaper » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:53 am

Being you will have PLENTY of power because of the solar and once you get the wind turbines set up properly, what are your thoughts on a power dump for excess power once your batteries get and stay topped off?

600 watts wind turbine
350 watts wind turbine
50? watts from the solid mount mini turbine( mount to the truck camper for a lil extra power for your friend?)
200+ watts solar(on a good day)
________
1.21 jigawatts!!?!?!!?!? (Back to the Future joke)

Will your electronics handle all that new power?

Ideas of what to do with the excess power?
1. Chicken tractor gets its own battery and heater/heat lamp for the chickens?
....Then chicken coop get renamed to the DIY hot box of chicken :P

2. More power for the electric fence so you can pulse every 1-2 seconds rather than 3 seconds
....As long as no one finds a new sexual excitement from electric shock, your fence and your chickens should feel safer at night from wolves and rednecks alike ;)

3. Electric coffee grinder as a power dump?
....Every wind gust makes coffee beans go bust :mrgreen: coffee anyone?

4. Wire up that "possessed" children's ride-in electric car to pull your chicken tractor remotely
....This upgrades the chicken coop to a hot box of chicken with a drive-thru but with an evil guardian angel because we know the eventual fate of them chickens(if season properly it will be a tasty one :lol: )

5. Run the high temp 12v pump that runs water into a heater core in front of your RV window fan so that you can take heat straight from the wood burning stove to the fan so you can set up the window fan/pump on the thermostats you got recently to prevent the "uncomfortable 80+ degrees" in the RV, not to mention you may not need your fire near as hot to make wood last even longer(btw what about setting up the used veg oil burner?)
....Put a large metal pot full of water on your wood burning stove so you can tell the ladies they will get all hot and steamy if they walk into the RV 8-)

6. DIY 12v heater project for the RV?(specifically babycats area behind the bathroom sink)
....So if one of your pipes spring a leak, they will beg to hear the story about how you found a hot, wet, p****-cat in the back of your RV that was raring to go :oops:

After watching today's video and the comment you made about......not being able to get a 120' pole up...(I cant joke about about that because Energy Deficiency is no joking matter) All you would have to do is have 2 people stabilize it's side to side movement(later to be staked down to stabilize it) as man of many things uses his electric winch to hoist it up with a pulley near the base. When you dig the hole for the pole, use a slightly larger diameter PVC pipe to set the pole on concrete because this will make it easy for removal when lifted vertically depending on bugout speed Make the surface of the hole like the spot Olympic pole jumpers aim for with he bottom of their stick so it wont slip.

Anyone else have some good ideas for useful means of power dumps?
....punchlines optional. :D

techman
Site Admin

Re: Power dump for 1.21 JIGAWATTS? your ideas?

Post by techman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:06 pm

You have some good ideas. But please keep it clean. No sexual jokes in the future please. I have been alone way too long, since 1998.

I am looking for a 24 volt water heater to take some extra solar energy directly from the solar panels.

An inverter and a water heater as a dump load for some how showers or for extra RV heating would be nice to use for the windmill dump loads after the batteries get topped off.

With a charge controller it does not matter how much power I produce, the electronics can handle it. I have 600 AH of batteries so it takes quite a lot of power to top them off when I am really using them. Recently I have only used about 100 watt hours for about 5 hours per day due to lack of energy. That is about 40 to 50 AH used per day.

tweakinreaper

Post by tweakinreaper » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:01 pm

techman wrote:I am looking for a 24 volt water heater to take some extra solar energy directly from the solar panels.

Dedicate 1 solar panel or the small wind generator to this mounted in the bottom of your IBC with the battery/charge controller from the truck camper once your friend finds warmer housing.
DC Water Heater Element for wind turbines and solar setups 24 volt 600 watt
Since you had to drain the IBC, it wouldn't be a bad idea to move the IBC next to the woodstove shed to feed off the heat from it. The 12volt high temp pump you got that you planned to setup heat in the RV with could be ran so the the hot water comes from the woodstove, to the floor heaters you got then into the IBC to scavenge any remaining heat to prevent it from freezing again as well as placing the smaller tank you have on a pallet wood shelf on your solar porch not only for the warmth but out of convenience as well.

Albeit a little pricey but this is what i had in mind for you cold situation, placed in the rear of the RV or either in or vented to the battery bank,
Diversion Load Room Heater 24 volt 800 watt Dump Load Wind Turbines Solar Panels

Or even this for the battery bank.
BACK SEAT HEAT PLUS MODEL 4000 24 VOLT HEATER NEW

With the problems your having staring a fire, You can use the in-line duct fan sent to you as a supercharger by reducing the diameter of the air outlet thus speeding up the airflow to the air inlet to get the air flowing. A battery powered leaf blower with the tool batteries would be very useful right now for starting fires in the wood stove or clear/collect leaves for bio-briquettes. Another thought would be to setup the ducting like you planned by pulling from the rear of the RV to under your bed and ducting it directly into the wood stove thus making a hotter fire and making the inside of the RV a low pressure zone to help naturally pull heat into the RV.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Yes I am thinking about a wind powered water heater when I get back.

The blower idea for the wood stove is good too. Someone sent me a link where a guy has an outdoor air intake for the wood stove with fans to push the air as needed.