How about a Wood gasifier to run a generator for more power

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
mr bugsier5

Re: How about a Wood gasifier to run a generator for more po

Post by mr bugsier5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:05 am

thing now is mostly getting your rv on a nice temperature with the stove!, tinkering projects are for spring and summer!, i see that the solar ig going a lot better now!, advic you to make a list of things to do, witch are inportand.

1 getting the heating going as it should (and cutting fire wood for next winter) ;)
2 battery and loading (and cutting wood for the next winter)
3 getting generator of rv running,(and cutting wood for the next winter)
4 getting the rv engine running (can previde you of battery charging, and surplus is heat from the original car heater.)(and cutting wood for the next winter)
5 water system rv including hot shower water and waste water removal,(and cutting wood for the next winter)
6 water storage in isolated shed (behind the rv, nearest to heatingshed),with a little heat (small coil on barrelstove thermal syfon effect ), advice to put the suction hose from the rv waterpump directly in the watertank, and rebuild the water collector nearby the shed, or pyping it to that (put water collector also behind rv, out of the medow and the direct falling winds.). and yes again,(and cutting wood for the next winter)

:lol: :lol: lot of work to do first Troy!, getting ready for the winter wil give you time in the winter for getting a bit off rest!

i wil be following the progress day by day! :lol:
, still say, pitty you are not next door , would have been helping every day!
all the problems you have now, i'have had before , wond make the same mistakes anymore, i'm now making mony getting other people off grid with all these things :D, still is big fun to see it all works , and most of my (boat) off grid clients are happy they dit, and there not suffering!! ;)

ps dont forget to eat to!! ;)
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

acrowder53

Post by acrowder53 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:36 pm

There is a guy who has a youtube channel titled MrTeslonian. He shows a gasifier he built out of scrap parts running a decent size generator, and a propane fridge at the same time. It obviously also produces heat and potentially hot water. Troy and all the rest who posted on this thread may wanna check out his channel if you haven't already

Best regards,

acrowder53
ethancrowder22@gmail.com

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm

I have seen mr teslonians channel and his fridge. I was thinking about using the sun next summer to power a propane fridge. All you need is heat on the heating element. Should work. Concentrate the sun onto the heater and you have cold food inside.

mr bugsier5 lol, I guess I will cut up some wood then.

Yes I have a notebook where I write down all of my projects and ideas. I scratch them off as I go.

mr bugsier5

Post by mr bugsier5 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:47 am

:mrgreen: as long as you don't forget to cut up some wood....... :lol: :lol: ;)

good idea to go to Australia for the winter , (do not cut wood in that case!) :lol:

a friend of my came by last weekend, talked about your situation in new york, he uses a woodgas genny for a few years now, he fils a canister of about 55 litres with wood,closes the lid heat that with a wood fire (rebuild woodstove), and out comes Woodgas , he filters it by means of a cyclone filter , a oil catcher in the bottom (thick oil), than passes it thru a woodchips filter, works great , needs to heat up for 5 minutes , and presto, he start his generator to charge his battery's at zero costs!
he is running a 12 volt alternator , loading 50 amps.works fine now for years.
even has a heat exchanger on his woodfire with some home radiators, working without a pump, works great.
dont be afraid to ask!, a stupid question does not exist!
forgive me my bad English!, as long as you know what i mean it,s fine for me!
(you thry dutch, wont be easy to! HA HA!)

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Can you possibly post some photos of his project. I also wonder how much work is involved in keeping the fire going and how many hours can it power the generator on a load of wood in the upper chamber. Also interested in more details on the filter system.

Dragon93

Post by Dragon93 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:00 pm

I would love to see a wood gasifier prodject.

JimW

Post by JimW » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:57 am

If you can get the time I would recommend you check out https://www.youtube.com/user/flash001USA/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
flash001USA has been doing a lot of experiments with wood gas and running a generator on it. After watching his videos on the build he did I agree with him....the resulting gas should be very clear, not looking like the steam that I see in a lot of video's and the flame from it should be an almost invisible blue, no red or yellow colors showing, which is carbon burning!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Thanks for the link. I will have to study this stuff later on when I get some spare time. I am hoping to get that old Toro generator running again without a carb.

tazdemon

Post by tazdemon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:18 pm

can u run a 3 way on wood gas in a propain trant

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:07 am

You should build a wood gasifier to run that DC generator of yours. You could run it on woodchips. MrTeslonian has a cool Diy vid of building one to run his truck on but you can run any engine big or small on woodchips. He also makes his own synthetic gasoline. Check out the youtube vid and channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3KipK49v7g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;