Welcome to the Alternate Energy discussions

Discussions about solar, wind and radiant energy. Electronics and projects dealing with energy savings.
techman
Site Admin

Welcome to the Alternate Energy discussions

Post by techman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:49 am

This group is for discussions and projects about alternate energy, solar panels and solar heating, windmills and wind energy, passive heating and cooling projects. Also radiant energy and alternate energy sources.

Please feel free to post your ideas, projects and experiments on this forum. We welcome any friendly discussions and suggestions in this forum.

George

Re: Welcome to the Alternate Energy discussions

Post by George » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 am

hi,

what do you think is the best alternate energy source? hydro? solar? wind?

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:51 pm

George wrote:hi,

what do you think is the best alternate energy source? hydro? solar? wind?

A combination of all three is the very best. Solar and wind go hand in hand nicely due to the fact that its normally windy when the sun is not shining and the opposite is normally true. Not always, but its a good combo. If you are lucky enough to have running water nearby even better.

CapeBretonBuddy

Post by CapeBretonBuddy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14 pm

I think so too....The more options you have, the better. Bedini motors in conjunction with the rest would probably work well too....for electrical energy. I've recently seen videos of Solar Furnaces being made on youtube, that i've mentioned before on another thread. With a small squirrel fan powered by solar or wind, you could put an awful dent in you furnace oil bill. Where i live, it gets really cold, and windy. I live right on the atlantic coast...less than a stones throw away from the north atlantic ocean...any break in heating costs is a plus!

this whole alternate forms of energy are fairly new to me, not the ideas, but the practical side of it. I really enjoy brainstorming ideas and building something that has a practical use. Thanks for putting this forum into play to give us an outlet!!!

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Happy to help. Please feel free to ask any questions on your journey to energy freedom.

takenover1

Post by takenover1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello everyone, I'm also new to all of this, but loving every second of it. My first project is going to be making a solar powered USB charger, there are many on the net, but no specifics...so any idea's as to what size solar panel (7w), how many batterie's etc...
Either way I will find my way through, if it works out as expected, I'll be sure to post all the details!

Tigerninja25

Post by Tigerninja25 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree with the more diversity in energy the better possibles and is much safer for animals as when you make big scale wind farms it kills a large amount of birds. I working on turning an old fan that broke into a windmill and researching possible alternate energies that would work for my area. I seen dry HHO cells that I would love to build but dont have the money right now to get good parts for it. Hope you continue your experiments and life on off the grid as you help a lot of us figure out how to use alternate energy to better our lives for less cost. :D