The DIY World Store

Mr Beams LED Lighting

Non GMO Heirloom survival seed vaults

Reading light

Learn how to make your own LED light bulbs. Share your own project plans and ideas here. General LED discussions.

Reading light

Postby richc » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:29 pm

I want to make a reading light, mostly for use in the late evening. I have never created an LED project and want advice/suggestions.

Hope to achieve:
* Floor standing
* Two modes: dim and medium - amber
* Maybe: third mode around 1000 Lumens - warm white

Current thoughts:
Since this is for evening use before sleep, I want Amber lights instead of harsh white that mess up sleep. I am married and don't want to wake my wife, so I want it to be easy to switch between low-off (don't want to have to cycle past a brighter light setting).
* What kind of circuit and switch makes the most sense for this?

Since I want this to be free standing and don't want any bulk at the top, I want the ballast/transformer to be in the base, However, I want to be able to turn it on/off near the top.
* This seems to imply having the switch/brightness selector be in-line DC between the transformer and the bulb. Would this make sense? Since the transformer would always be connected to live AC, would I be asking for trouble?
* Another idea is to separate the on/off switch from the brightness selector. The AC hot wire could run up to a switch at the top, back down to the transformer, and the low wattage DC go up to the brightness selector. If I had three sets of LEDs (say 4 amber LEDs for dim, 8 more amber LEDs for medium, and a couple dozen warm white LEDs for high), and if each set took the same voltage but drew different amperage, the selector could enable 1, 2 or 3 sets in parallel. Would this work if the transformer delivers enough amperage to run all of the lights? Would the transformer designed to deliver so much amperage be running inefficiently/hot if only the dim set is selected? (I expect to mostly be using the dim or medium setting).

Thank you,
-Rich
richc

Reading light

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Reading light

Postby techman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:46 am

Hi,

Sorry, I did not see this earlier. I have had some serious trouble with my Windows 10 laptop. I am currently typing on an old Macbook that I am trying to revive and bring up to date. At least two things are good on this. One, I can see the screen and not a mirror image of my face. I hate the new windows laptops with a mirror screen. Two, it is faster than the laptop although it has older hardware. Oh, and a third thing. It is not rebooting on me while I work.

It makes working on the forum 4 times faster than with the windows laptop.
techman
Site Admin

Return to LEDs and LED Lighting Projects