Welcome to the Automotive Discussions

Fuel savings and tuning experiments
techman
Site Admin

Welcome to the Automotive Discussions

Post by techman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Please post experiments, projects and discussions about cars, trucks, RVs and anything automotive. Fuel savings, alternate energies and hydrogen boosters.

Jarry Evans

Re: Welcome to the Automotive Discussions

Post by Jarry Evans » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Grretings! I noticed this forum has not been used yet so i thought i would jump in and offer my services, I Have been a shade tree mechanic since i could turn a wrench, I worked as a Mechanic and Managed a Oil change service center for about 9 yrs, I also Participate in the S.C.C.A. any chance i get.

I love sleepers, and i love going to the track in my little beater daily driver( not much better looking then Troys honda:>) and outrunning people who think if they have more money in there car the better racer they are. It's a great feeling taking a 500 dollar car to the races and and showing up a brand new mustang or corvette..hehehe..:>>

MotherLodeBeth

Post by MotherLodeBeth » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 pm

The only better fuel mileage advise I can give that I know works is lose weight. The more weight the vehicle has to carry the worse gas mileage you get. Its why we only have dehydrated foods (our own) along with a hand pump water filter from REI, and a two 36 inch pieces of carpet in the trunk area.

Here in the Sierra one can find a creek, river etc along the roads so a hand pump water filter is lighter than lugging jugs of water around. Dehydrated foods weigh less than canned items. And the two pieces of carpet are lighter than carrying sand or kitty litter for when you get stuck in the snow and need to get your wheels moving and out of the snow.

And yes dropping some human pounds also is helpful.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:50 am

Jarry Evans wrote:Grretings! I noticed this forum has not been used yet so i thought i would jump in and offer my services, I Have been a shade tree mechanic since i could turn a wrench, I worked as a Mechanic and Managed a Oil change service center for about 9 yrs, I also Participate in the S.C.C.A. any chance i get.

I love sleepers, and i love going to the track in my little beater daily driver( not much better looking then Troys honda:>) and outrunning people who think if they have more money in there car the better racer they are. It's a great feeling taking a 500 dollar car to the races and and showing up a brand new mustang or corvette..hehehe..:>>

I too used to drive "sleepers". My old Camaro was a bit beat up and had more primer than paint but it sure ran well. I miss it. Got hit in the side one day when a guy tried to pass me while I was making a right hand turn. Bad move. Anyway, I still drove it for a while and it looked like a race car. Had to bail out the driver side window because the door wouldnt open anymore. The car was so famous that I still made money when I sold the engine which I had built up from all junk yard racing parts.

Good to have a mechanic on here. Hopefully people will use your services while visiting here. I am sure when I have more time to talk about it we can discuss some tuning ideas.

techman
Site Admin

Post by techman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:51 am

MotherLodeBeth wrote:The only better fuel mileage advise I can give that I know works is lose weight. The more weight the vehicle has to carry the worse gas mileage you get. Its why we only have dehydrated foods (our own) along with a hand pump water filter from REI, and a two 36 inch pieces of carpet in the trunk area.

Here in the Sierra one can find a creek, river etc along the roads so a hand pump water filter is lighter than lugging jugs of water around. Dehydrated foods weigh less than canned items. And the two pieces of carpet are lighter than carrying sand or kitty litter for when you get stuck in the snow and need to get your wheels moving and out of the snow.

And yes dropping some human pounds also is helpful.
Yes pieces of carpet are a very good idea for winter. I always used my floor mats in an emergency. Worked every time.